Fungi live all around us. There are over 100,000 species of mold, a type of fungus that grows in damp places.
All types of fungus and mold serve as the world’s greatest decomposers. This means that they break down dead organic matter.
Unfortunately, while playing this vital role, some produce something called mycotoxins. This poses a threat when it happens too close to home.
Read on to learn more about mycotoxins, their potential effects on your health, and how to stay safe.
Where Do We Encounter Mycotoxins?
Have you ever found forgotten leftovers that looked like a science fair project in your refrigerator? Many food molds produce mycotoxins.
They can grow in rice, whole grains, coffee, cider, and wine. Fortunately, you will most likely see the mold or smell the rot before putting yourself in danger with these types.
But what about the mycotoxin-producing mold that hides insidiously in your home? This type often grows in leaky attics, ceilings, walls, and floorboards. They may also spread to stored items.
Mycotoxin Health Concerns
If mycotoxin testing detects anything in your home, take it seriously. A mycotoxin is a poisonous substance to humans and pets. They can cause a number of ailments that range from annoying to life-threatening.
Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome (CIRS)
CIRS, also known as biotoxin illness, affects one in four Americans. The increased action of the Human Leukocyte Antigen-antigen D Related (HLA-DR) triggers an overreactive immune response after the body fails to remove the biotoxins.
This syndrome causes inflammation in a number of body systems, making everyday life uncomfortable. Symptoms may include:
- Pain in the joints and muscles
- Blurred vision
- Changes in appetite
- Digestive issues
- Mood swings
- Temperature regulation issues
- Excessive thirst and urination
- Cognitive difficulties
- Difficulty breathing
It may present differently from one person to the next. This can make diagnosis difficult.
Cancer is one of the scariest mold illnesses. Because these biotoxins can penetrate our cells, they tend to cause a lot of damage.
When they cause mutations within the DNA, they cause cancer. Research links certain mycotoxins to specific kinds of cancer.
How to Prevent Poisoning By Mycotoxins
Mold cannot wreak havoc on your home and health if you take measures to prevent its growth. Pay attention to the moisture in your home as it creates the perfect atmosphere for mold growth.
Your walls and windows should never sweat. Use a dehumidifier.
Clean your gutters regularly. This prevents rain and snow melt from leaking into your home.
Every few months, tighten valves on water outlets and pipes. Look for any signs of water damage around the house.
Call for mold testing when you move into a home or if you notice any signs of water damage. If your home does have mold, then also ask them to test for mycotoxins.
Keep Your Home Safe
Home should feel like a safe haven. We take measures to protect it from strangers coming in. But many people fail to think of the small stuff that can cause serious harm.
We can help keep your home free of mycotoxins. Contact us to schedule your mold inspection.